Kevin Durant has openly admitted to using social media burner accounts.This time he avoided it when asked about the account that caused a stir.
Kevin Durant on social media account speculation
Houston Rockets All-Star forward Kevin Durant deflected questions about a possible social media burner account, though he did not deny the legitimacy of any claims.
Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, February 18, Durant was asked if the account on X, formerly known as Twitter, might belong to Durant.The account manager @gethigher77 was created in August 2021 and has only 75 followers and is followed by 75 other users.The account has recently been made private.
During the All-Star break, screenshots surfaced of the account openly criticizing Durant's current and former teammates.
"I know you have to ask those questions, but I'm not here to go on Twitter," Durant said."I'm here to watch the season, keep building on it, but I understand why you have to ask those questions."
When pressed further and asked if the Rockets have resolved the issue with teammates, Durant pivoted again.
"My teammates know what it is," he said."We've been locked in all season. We've enjoyed our break. We had a great practice today and we're looking forward to the trip."
At 33-20 and in a tight race near the top of the Western Conference, the Rockets head into a two-game road trip to Charlotte and New York.
The screenshots from the @gethigher77 account led to speculation over the weekend that the tone and speech patterns were similar to messages Durant has used in the past from his verified accounts.
The images show direct messages sent by the account apparently disparaging Rockets All-Star center Alperen Shengun and forward Jabari Smith Jr.
"Your special license player cannot shoot guards," read one message.
"I can't trust Jabari to make a hit or stop," said another message, before calling Smith a common epithet against people with learning disabilities.
It is important to emphasize that there is no direct evidence linking Durant to the account and that the possible link is only internet speculation at this time.
Known to be active on his social media channels, particularly responding to other users or trolls, Durant even said during an interview with ESPN in 2019 that he used Brenner's account.
"I wasn't used to paying much attention to basketball," Durant said."I wanted a place where I could talk to my friends without interrupting my conversation or slurring my words or taking everything out of context because I enjoyed that place."
Previously, in 2017, Durant was apparently caught using a burner account when a fan responded to his official account and Durant responded by speaking in the third person.
Then, in July 2023, after Threads launched, Durant posted a message on Twitter that read: "Hot Thread. Come find me."
During a press conference at All-Star Media Day on Saturday, February 14, Durant was asked if he had to give up X or video games for the rest of his life, which would he choose.
"Break it," Durant said at the time."I'm going to Twitter. I're going to Twitter because they do not deserve to hear the God-level talk I am giving them. They accept it for approval."
